Andrea, at Fretting the Small Stuff, tagged me for an 8 things meme. So, here goes…
8 things I am passionate about
1. My Better Half. He taught me how to really love.
2. Finding something to laugh at every day.
3. Cooking for people I love.
4. Eating food that’s been cooked for me, as an expression of love by a loved one, or as an expression of self love. (I take myself out to eat when the BH is otherwise occupied.)
5. Children growing up poor.
6. Honesty. I don’t care if you messed up. Just admit it, and I will forgive you. Lie to me, and I may not.
7. Reading. Can’t get enough. Books, blogs, newspapers, cereal boxes. Whatever, really.
8. Me time. I love my family, I love my Better Half. But I overstimulate, and then I need to be alone. Interrupt my me time, and you get a mean BLC.
8 things I want to do before I die
1. Go to Paris again with the Better Half.
2. Be published, as an essayist, columnist, or poet.
3. Have someone famous appreciate my cooking.
4. Forgive myself and others and find contentment.
5. Take a cooking class with a cooking luminary, like Jacques Pepin.
6. See New Zealand.
7. Spend some time with a kitty (My Kitty), who sits on my chest and purrs as I read a paperback with one hand, and pet him/her with the other.
8. Spend a year without worrying about work in the middle of the night.
8 things I say often
1. “Voice mail, please.” I hate the phone at work.
2. “Tell me how you really feel.” I am not sarcastic. No, not at all.
3. “I love you.” To my Better Half, all the time. Since my Mom’s recent breakdown, my brother now says it to me, and I say it back. It’s amazing– we haven’t really talked for years, and now it’s all better, all of a sudden.
4. “Are you busy for lunch?” I try to get out of the office at lunchtime, to catch up with my coworkers and do a little breathing.
5. “How are you?” I really want to know.
6. The f-word, in all its variations. Lawyers all swear a lot, but I seem to pepper my conversation with the f-word very liberally.
7. “Jackass.” Usually while in my car.
8. (The silent look of disappointment/disapproval, over the top of my glasses.)
8 books I’ve recently read
1. The Blue Sword, Robin McKinley (a constant re-read)
2. The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Michael Pollan
3. Selected Poems, Vol. 1, Mary Oliver
4. The Gift of Southern Cooking, Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock (soup chapter)
5. The Second Child, Deborah Garrison
6. Jesus and Buddha, Thich Naht Hanh (another re-read)
7. The End of the Alphabet, C.S. Richardson (still working on it, actually)
8. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food, Alan Davidson (selected entries)
8 things I could listen to over & again
1. Mozart’s Requiem
2. “Mr. Brownstone,” Guns n’ Roses
3. anything by the Beastie Boys
4. “The Impression that I Get,” The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
5. “Ghosts are Good Company,” Bishop Allen
6. “Somethin’ Extra,” Carrie Rodriguez & Chip Taylor
7. “Hurt,” Nine Inch Nails
8. “Sweet Baby James,” James Taylor
8 things that attract me to my best friends
1. Honesty, even if it means telling me something I won’t like.
2. A sense of humor.
3. An appreciation of my cooking.
5. A willingness not to scream and cover their eyes when I drive. (Fine, you try driving with the Better Half.)
6. Curiosity about the world.
7. An appreciation for wine-induced laughter.
8. An appreciation for the Better Half. Love my spouse, love me. Not the other way around.
I’m not going to tag anyone, but I’d be interested in seeing what you have to write.